Western Kentucky University 3D Perspective Campus MapWestern Kentucky University Interactive Map

Western Kentucky University

On March 21, 1906 the Kentucky General Assembly approved legislation to establish two teacher training institutions, or "normal schools," in the state. A locating commission chose Bowling Green to be the site of one, and the Western Kentucky State Normal School was created.

The new state-supported school took over the building and student body of the privately owned Southern Normal School. The owner of the Southern Normal School, Henry Hardin Cherry, had been actively involved in the campaign to establish teacher training schools and became Western’s first president. Classes began on January 22, 1907.

Western’s campus expanded in 1927, when it merged with Ogden College, a private young men’s school located on the east side of the Hill. Western’s name was shortened to Western Kentucky State Teachers College in 1930, and the following year the master of arts degree was first offered. As Western’s mission broadened, its name was shortened in 1948 to Western Kentucky State College. On June 16, 1966 Western Kentucky State College became Western Kentucky University.

Western Kentucky University became a client of mapformation in June 2011, after being referred to our firm by the members of nuCloud, a mapformation partner providing excellent interactive mapping solutions to their constituents. Our firm was eventually selected as the vendor of choice for WKU’s project. Finished artwork was delivered in October 2011.

Powered By: AcademicsWeb