Portsmouth Abbey School

Portsmouth Abbey School

In 1918, Dom Leonard Sargent was searching for a property on which to build a Benedictine monastery. Upon discovering a beautiful 70-acre plot on the shores of Narragansett Bay, he followed an old superstition and dropped a medal of St. Benedict in the field. Thus began the vision that came to fruition as Portsmouth Abbey and School, continuing the 1,500-year tradition of Benedictine spiritual devotion and dedication to learning and enlightenment.

Of the 27 buildings that comprise our 500-acre campus, 14 have been designed by the renowned modernist architect Pietro Belluschi who was part of the Bauhaus movement and head of urban planning and architecture at MIT. Portsmouth Abbey’s Church of St. Gregory the Great is considered the most important piece of conservative modernist architecture in Rhode Island.

Portsmouth Abbey School became a client of mapformation in July 2018, after periodic discussions with our interactive mapping partner, nuCloud, concerning the development of a new campus map for the institution. Finished artwork was provided to the School in September 2018.

Powered By: AcademicsWeb